Greetings and Happy Labor Day! I hope you found some time to relax this weekend while clutching onto the last bit of summer (anyone else crying about the pool closing?). I am having a fantastic weekend but am noticing that ominous, anxious feeling that comes after a long weekend off… the Sunday Night Blues on steroids.
Yes, the dreaded back to work after three glorious days off. How do we cope? If you’re struggling with the thought of going back to work tomorrow, try these 5 ways to practice some extra self care. You deserve it!
- Stretch as soon as you get up. If you’re like me and wake up stiff and achy most mornings, this is a great way to loosen up and to relieve any tension or stress that may build up. I really like these 5 stretches…give them a try and see how you feel.
- Listen to a morning meditation while you commute. There are plenty of great meditation apps you can download such as Insight Timer (my personal favorite), Buddhify, and Aura. Pick one and find a short meditation that you can stream while driving or sitting on the train. Alex does this every morning on his way to the office and finds that when he arrives at work he is more serene, calm, and ready to take on whatever the day may bring.
- Add some pizzazz to your water bottle. Do you have a cucumber in your veggie drawer or a mint plant you always seem to forget about? Add some to your water! Even doing something this small will add variation and excitement to your normal routine. Plus, adding something yummy to your water will make you want to drink more of it, which means you stay more hydrated. Hydration means more energy. See where I’m going with this?!
- Plan an exit strategy. Even though most people don’t work on Labor Day, there always seems to be more to do after a long weekend off. Plan something to make sure you leave work on time, whether it’s scheduling a phone call with your bestie, getting a pedicure, or meeting your partner for happy hour.
- Go to bed 30 minutes early. The best thing you can do for yourself to continue to recharge is to get enough sleep. I know that catching up on Insecure and Bachelor in Paradise is important…but do yourself this favor and snag some extra Zzzz’s. Your body and mind will thank you.
Wishing you a low stress and peaceful day tomorrow!
Journal Prompt: Reflect on your long weekend. What are you grateful for?